Infinite Interactive on Facebook Infinite Interactive on Twitter
Forum

Just Bought Warlords BC3 on steam

Crashes on start up. Followed link on steam community to here to ask for help as the game crashes on startup. Anyone come across this before or know why / a solution?

All my other games work fine using windows 10

Full specs

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Xeon E3 1220 v2 @ 3.10GHz 54 C
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (10-10-10-30)
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75 Pro3-M (CPUSocket) 35 C
    Graphics
    SAMSUNG (1920x1080@29Hz)
    1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (XFX Pine Group) 51 C
    Storage
    186GB SAMSUNG HD200HJ (SATA) 31 C
    931GB Seagate ST31000524AS (SATA) 40 C
    232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB ATA Device (SSD) 44 C
    Optical Drives
    ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203D ATA Device
    Audio
    Komplete Audio 6 WDM Audio

Any help is much appreciated

Have you covered you basic things from given below link? I have windows 10 and it runs on my laptop stable but got windows 7 on desktop and stable there too both 64 bit os.

EDIT: http://www.infinite-interactive.com/...-modern-setups
    Last edited by Intikhab; 01-27-2016 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Intikhab View Post
    Have you covered you basic things from given below link? I have windows 10 and it runs on my laptop stable but got windows 7 on desktop and stable there too both 64 bit os.

www.infinite-interactive.com/forum/showthread.php?522-How-to-run-WBC-series-stably-on-modern-setups&goto=newpost

Thanks for the reply.

It seems to work when I drop the resolution to anything 1280 x 720 or below. This may have something to do with the refresh rate while at 1920 x 1080 on my old 32" TV is only 29 Hz. I had the same problem with Supreme commander and found a solution online said that after running the game once, to edit the preference file with your required resolution . Unfortunately I can neither find the preference file nor adjust the resolution to anything above 1024 x 768 in the game options graphic menu.

Any ideas or is this just how it is and I'm stuck with the low resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Snibbly View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

It seems to work when I drop the resolution to anything 1280 x 720 or below. This may have something to do with the refresh rate while at 1920 x 1080 on my old 32" TV is only 29 Hz. I had the same problem with Supreme commander and found a solution online said that after running the game once, to edit the preference file with your required resolution . Unfortunately I can neither find the preference file nor adjust the resolution to anything above 1024 x 768 in the game options graphic menu.

Any ideas or is this just how it is and I'm stuck with the low resolution?
    I am sorry that i missed few things in my guide i will update it to be more sense able for everyone regarding resolution problems. What you are experiencing is a resolution limitation, when your tv as monitors resolution top out at 1920x1080@24 that resolution become the limiting factor for the game for vertical and horizontal pixels and refresh rate too that exceed in either direction becomes non-usable due to game coding and you can only select lower resolutions like 1024x768@60. If you had monitor where 1920x1080@60 then you will be limited to it and you can select resolution one step higher (12xx)X(10xx)@60 don't remember exact numbers. If you had a monitor of 1600X1200 or 1920X1200 or 2560X1440 all @60 then you would have the option of 1600x1200 resolution in-game, 1600X1200 not always work and crashes alot more. Apart from this "the protectors" mod of this game have 2 more resolutions 1600X900 and 1920X1080.

Looks like I need to invest in a new monitor then.

Edit.

Managed to get it booted but now crashes on startup of the tutorial and campaign . Looks a great game, certainly the type Im into, but I can't afford to splash out on a new monitor and Im tired of spending hours on end trying to get it to work so Ive put a refund request into Steam.

Shame.
    Last edited by Snibbly; 01-28-2016 at 09:02 AM.

Looks like I need to invest in a new monitor then.

Edit.

Managed to get it booted but now crashes on startup of the tutorial and campaign . Looks a great game, certainly the type Im into, but I can't afford to splash out on a new monitor and Im tired of spending hours on end trying to get it to work so Ive put a refund request into Steam.

Shame.
    Could you try lowest resolution available in-game, also campaign have menu options top left you have to select resolution there too?
    Try the protectors mod it is free and standalone but with changes and combined feel of all three wbc games. You might like it, plus it have the original campaign since it's latest version, few bugs though but easy workarounds for them.
    Last edited by Intikhab; 01-29-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Intikhab View Post
    Could you try lowest resolution available in-game, also campaign have menu options top left you have to select resolution there too?
    Try the protectors mod it is free and standalone but with changes and combined feel of all three wbc games. You might like it, plus it have the original campaign since it's latest version, few bugs though but easy workarounds for them.
    Thank you for all your help Intikhab but Ive spent enough time trying to get this game to work. I shouldn't have to do this just to get it to run. I dont know if the developers still support this game, but after a quick look at the forums and all the patches/ unofficial patches/ fixes/ problems people are having, Im guessing not. This being the case, Im not about to struggle to find work arounds for an unsupported game no matter how good it is. There are way too many games out there all of which just work out of the box so Im not about to do the work for someone who I already paid.

If its any help, I tried all you mentioned above except the protectors mod, I got a steam refund before it went that far.
    Lets hope Warlords BC4 is released soon and without the need to faff around so much, then Ill see you in game.

Thanks again.
    Snibbly

WBC 4 will not be released anytime soon imo the lousy and bugged patch 1.0324 has utterly destroyed the game grand premiere on Steam
    which means : no possible creditors for WB 4 developing .
    Last edited by edelward; 01-31-2016 at 09:00 AM.

I tried all you mentioned above except the protectors mod, I got a steam refund before it went that far.
    The Protectors mod is free so you need not worry about having other wbc games installed. Just download and play.
    With the import tools in WBC3, we can do it in under 5 minutes... but how to use the tools properly is secret known only to myself, Janeen, and a few ancient monks cloistered in cave somewhere in northern Latvia

Cheers

Steve
    I always had something of a monk in me. Now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_the_Winekiller View Post
    The Protectors mod is free so you need not worry about having other wbc games installed. Just download and play.
    And don't forget standalone, so you don't need the original game to play "the protectors" mod.