Infinite Interactive on Facebook Infinite Interactive on Twitter
Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I was actually using windows xp back when I had the cd version of the game, so that MIGHT be it.

I'm not sure because I don't know how to test it with the 1.0 version, the earliest version I have is the 1.03.24, the steam version.

Just try making a folder like the old folder with the same path and see if your hero's save properly . What is odd though that other than iron man hero's are saving properly. I will have a look at the source code this weekend and see if they are coded differently and see if I can get everyone at least a workaround to the problem.

Warlords Forever
    Home of the 1035 Mod for Warlords Battlecry 3
    I also make indiegames under the name BelowZeroGames

Having looked over everything I am 100% convinced that any issue related to herodata.xcr is due to C:\My Documents as the destination path to the Warlords Battlecry III folder. On my XP the path is C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\My Documents\Warlords Battlecry III . I would experiment and just create a Documents and Settings folder with your own name of course and plant a My Documents folder in there then copy the entire contents of your current Warlords Battlecry III folder located in your users/My Documents folder and see if that works. I think there is one too many subfolders in the path so the game is not seeing the herodata.xcr file. This is just my theory give it a try and see if it works.

Warlords Forever

I cannot create a folder called "Documents and Settings" in C:\ (where windows is installed) because a folder already exists, if I merge it, the folder dissapears, if I try to access the folder, it tells me Access Denied, even tho I'm already using the hidden windows 7 administrator user (the TRUE administrator).

Anyways seems ironman mode somehow saves only in that folder, and that needs to be changed if we are to ever have ironman mode working in windows 7 or later.

Issues:
    1. Documents and Settings folder already exists in C:\ , but you cannot see or access it, and so you cannot create a new folder called documents and settings, it will simply ask you to MERGE the folders if you try to.
    2. You cannot access the folder by typing in the address bar "C:\Documents and Settings", you get an "Access Denied" error.

edit: after looking around for this issue, it seems that the "documents and settings" folder doesn't actually exist in windows 7, it's just a junction as explained here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...-settings.html

So a fix for the masses would be to change where the herodata.xcr file is being saved, for simplicity's sake, I say it should be in the game's base folder
    Last edited by AzKat; 01-30-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Then I wouldn't create the folder documents an settings I would just make it C:\WBC3\USER\My Documents\Warlords Battlecry III what I saw in the code was "\\My Documents" which means two folders and then My Documents I'm assuming.

On changing the location of the file I could hard code that but that doesn't do anything for the folks using the unofficials with the same problem.

I could do a new build for 103B and just change all lines refferring to the My Documents Folder in reffernce to the Herodata.xcr. Heh will have to test it pretty good to be sure it works always tricky when you make changes . Folks will just have to remember to save that file somewhere after in case they get a new computer and install the game on it again
    Last edited by ahatch; 01-30-2016 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Add different directory suggestion

Warlords Forever

The coding is easy, just do a search for the directory name and replace it. I did something similar with The Protectors chapter heroes.
    With the import tools in WBC3, we can do it in under 5 minutes... but how to use the tools properly is secret known only to myself, Janeen, and a few ancient monks cloistered in cave somewhere in northern Latvia

Cheers

Steve
    I always had something of a monk in me. Now I know.

I tried the protectors mod as well, and ironman still doesn't work there. However Tinman / Bronzeman mode both work.

So it's just an issue with where ironman mode saves work?

Yes you are right Ironman mode is not working on mine either so I'm going to have to dig deeper. I didn't have any luck moving the directory (tried planting it in the /data folder in the wbc folder) but if your regular hero's are saving then there must be something else going on.

Warlords Forever

maybe there's an issue with the condition upon WHEN to delete the hero?

Also I've noticed that in the 0.8.5 version of The Protectors mod, the normal campaign doesn't work. Sad but true. You don't win when you reach the high elf keep on the very first mission on sundered island.
    Actually scratch that, I saw what I had to do on the protectors forums.

As for the ironman mode, isn't there any way to add a duplicate Ironman Mode, in which your character gets reset to level 1 if he dies? So we can still somewhat use the "one life" policy.
    Last edited by AzKat; 02-01-2016 at 03:07 PM.

I just tested a new ironman hero on 103B on my old PC created a new hero ironman hero and loaded up an XP map. Everything worked propery the hero leveled up and saved so the original works on ironman mode. Just have to figure out why it no longer works on your version. As for backing up your ironman hero I would just have a backup copy of your herodata.xcr. After each battle (that you don't die) you copy and paste the file into another folder. Also noted that there is a cheat detection built in to wbc3 on ironman heroes.
    Last edited by ahatch; 02-07-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Warlords Forever

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast