Infinite Interactive on Facebook Infinite Interactive on Twitter
Forum

WBC 3 game exits fullscreen when starting the real RTS part

Untitled.jpg
    So I bought this game about an hour ago from GOG. I used to play this game a lot when I had the CD but I lost it...
    The problem I have is that I try the game. Creating the hero and everything works fine. Then I try skirmish or the campaign. Choosing the units and other things wort perfect. But when I actually try to start it, I can see the two swords crossed like X, then the game exits like if I pressed Alt + Tab. Then I try to get back to the game by clicking it or pressing Alt + Tab and it does not let me get back to the game. So I tried changing my screen resolution, and it worked, but the problem is some icons are not appearing. The heroes health bar is invisible and the icons that are used to give orders to the units becomes invisible. The letters still pop up when I place my cursor on top of the invisible icon, but it is pretty annoying and the cursor keeps flickering. Anybody knows why this is happening?
    Oh I have Windows 8.1 and my screen resolution is 1920 * 1080 but I change it to 1280 * 720 when I start the game.

This is a compatbility issue with Windows . Warlords Battlecry 3 and many of the other great games that you used to play on XP work like crap on new computers. I would suggest running your computer in virtual PC in Windows Xp 2nd or 3rd edition. I don't have Windows 8 on any of my systems but it's the same problem I have with my computer with windows 7 home edition. The game behaves the same way.

Warlords Forever
    Home of the 1035 Mod for Warlords Battlecry 3
    I also make indiegames under the name BelowZeroGames

Thank you for your help, ahatch. Just in case there is other people who uses windows 8 or 8.1 and has the same issue, Microsoft virtual PC works for Windows 7, and in Windows 8 and 8.1 it was replaced by Hyper-V. So if you want to do it on Windows 8 or 8.1, you have to use Hyper-V or other programs that can create virtual machines.

I think it should also work by turning compatibility mode on. Right click battlecryIII.exe -> properties -> compatibility -> check run in compatibility mode for win xp sp3
    With the import tools in WBC3, we can do it in under 5 minutes... but how to use the tools properly is secret known only to myself, Janeen, and a few ancient monks cloistered in cave somewhere in northern Latvia

Cheers

Steve
    I always had something of a monk in me. Now I know.