Infinite Interactive on Facebook Infinite Interactive on Twitter
Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

too many units causing crash?

well i made a map me defending vs 5 emperors and a while into the map once they have alot of buildings and units the game ends up crashing way before they get past my defences and from what ive seen from playing some of my other maps once there is alot of units and buildings it crashes on other maps also now is there a mod or a way to increase the amount of units/buildings allowed on the map? really want to play this maps with lots and lots of units n buildings lol =D

I believe that ahatch's mod has increased these limits in his 1035 and I am certain The Protectors mod did it as well, to support the new food system.
    With the import tools in WBC3, we can do it in under 5 minutes... but how to use the tools properly is secret known only to myself, Janeen, and a few ancient monks cloistered in cave somewhere in northern Latvia

Cheers

Steve
    I always had something of a monk in me. Now I know.

No I didn't increase the limit on the screen for 1035 MOD I just increased the limit to how many units can be put in the game I also increased the maximum type of armies each side can build (AI will not function if you have too many different unit types in the Building.cfg found this out working on Dragon Race)

Warlords Forever
    Home of the 1035 Mod for Warlords Battlecry 3
    I also make indiegames under the name BelowZeroGames

darn so in order to play big maps with lots of units i need to download 1035 mod? is it going to change a lot about the game? i like it just as it is lol aside from the too many units causing crashes.

You miss-understood him, Ahatch hasn't increased the limits in his mod that would solve the issues you are experiencing.

Regardless, both Patrick's and Ahatch's main mods largely change the game. (The 1.035 mod adds a lot of new content, where as The Protectors changes a lot of the game's main systems.)

I know the old mod team did up these limits for their 1.03.23 mod by increasing the game's cache by ~1MB, but it too changed some rather large aspects of the game. Admittedly, they were all really solid changes, but there was one (and a big one!) that I didn't like, nor did half the WBC3 community, for that matter, and that was timers for summoned / raised units.

What you could do if you want an unchanged game is ask Ahatch nicely to up these limits for his 1.03b mod.
    The 1.03b mod is the latest official version of the game but with increased limits on a variety of things, ranging from map tile limits to item definition limits. To a normal player's perspective, the game hasn't changed, but to a modder, it's a glorious mod!
    Oh and let's increase the limits for the amount of units / buildings that can be put into the game while we're at it. It's annoying to keep on replacing existing units in the army.cfg to test new units for the standard game.
    Last edited by Kharn; 03-01-2014 at 07:55 PM.

@Kharn: The unoff. patch didn't increase any unit limits for crashes - in fact, I've never before heard of too many units crashing WBC3. The limit the patch did increase was a limit at which point you can't produce any more units.

-Possibly fixed some issues with having many units and buildings on the game at once. This increases in-game memory usage by about 2 mb total.
    Your 1.03.2 change log suggests otherwise.
    Even though it says "possibly" it certainly works. I have a map which can only be played on the 1.03.23 mod due to too many building being pre-placed in the map editor. Starting this map on any other version of the game instantly crashes when someone tries to place down a building.

Also, wasn't it Dal Gurak's highly experimental mod that "removed" the limit of total number of producible units? I say "removed" loosely because I remember him (or someone) saying that there is still a limit, but it's so stupidly high that you would never hit it in any normal circumstance.
    Last edited by Kharn; 03-02-2014 at 05:02 PM.

I had a look at 10323 code and TPC code and observed the following:

1. TPC did not have extra cache (has in version 0.8.2 now) so crashes of having too many units on the map can still occur in older versions. (what Kharn said)
    2.TPC has the limit of units increased to fix the bug where you cannot produce more units. (what Jodwin said)
    3.Unofficial version 1.03.23 of Warlords Battlecry 3 has both of the issues fixed (what Jodwin and Kharn said together!)

I've got nothing about Dal Gurak's mod though.
    With the import tools in WBC3, we can do it in under 5 minutes... but how to use the tools properly is secret known only to myself, Janeen, and a few ancient monks cloistered in cave somewhere in northern Latvia

Cheers

Steve
    I always had something of a monk in me. Now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharn View Post
    Your 1.03.2 change log suggests otherwise.
    Even though it says "possibly" it certainly works. I have a map which can only be played on the 1.03.23 mod due to too many building being pre-placed in the map editor. Starting this map on any other version of the game instantly crashes when someone tries to place down a building.

Also, wasn't it Dal Gurak's highly experimental mod that "removed" the limit of total number of producible units? I say "removed" loosely because I remember him (or someone) saying that there is still a limit, but it's so stupidly high that you would never hit it in any normal circumstance.
    It's possible that the original "can't produce more"-bug is, in some situations (modern systems? something else? ehhhh...), causing crashes. Yes, the fix for that issue in the unoff. patches was to increase the size of arrays containing unit and building data in-game which, as a result, increased the amount of RAM requried to run the game. In vanilla, the limit was something akin to 2000 or 3000 units per side over a game. Someone (Dal? Possibly) did make an experimental mod to remove the limits altogether but that never left the experimental phase. The problem with removing the limits is that, unlike most games, WBC needs to retain memory of all units that have died for spells like resurrection, and jury rigging the code afterwards to work bug-free in multiplayer is not the easiest of things.

i pmed ahatch and asked him to mod the official update but he said hes busy with a indy game just hope it dose not take him too long to make the mod. i want to get back to dying while vsing 5 emperors lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast