Infinite Interactive on Facebook Infinite Interactive on Twitter
Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WBC3 at widescreen res

Hi.. Anyone can help me?
    I've just purchased WBC3 from GOG.com.. one of the best classic fantasy rts.
    Because it's an old game the max screen res available is 1024x768 (best for old medium CRT monitors)..
    but now I have a 27" led full HD monitor..
    Answer: there is a way to force game to higher res (1920x1080 or similar), like most old games?
    I've no found cfg files in the installation directory.
    Thx in advance

Unfortunately, the highest resolution that WBC3 can successfully run is 1280 x1024. (Which can be set through the options, campaign options or at the top right of the select scenario screen)

Past installments could actually go as high as 1600x1280, but that doesn't work in WBC3 and the option to select this was disabled in game. However, it can be forced through the Windows registry but there's no point in doing so as the game will just crash back to desktop when it tries to initiate that resolution.

Screen resolution is hardcoded in the game with just the two settings , The only way to change them would be to code new resolution in pretty difficult too I tinkered with the idea once but wasn't able to make any headway.

Warlords Forever
    Home of the 1035 Mod for Warlords Battlecry 3
    I also make indiegames under the name BelowZeroGames

This is a bad news..
    Was a very strange choice (of the developers) to hardcode the basic game options in the exe and not to use a cfg file.. like most old games..
    Thx for the answer..

Well, after getting a new monitor and now having a desktop resolution of 2560x1440, I loaded up WBC3 and to my surprise the game no longer is locking me out of the 1600x1024 resolution. Further more, it now actually works!!!!!

God knows why a monitor and desktop resolution of 1920x1080 would prevent the game from displaying at 1600x1024, but works when there's even higher settings available / in use.

Quote Originally Posted by icarus17 View Post
    This is a bad news..
    Was a very strange choice (of the developers) to hardcode the basic game options in the exe and not to use a cfg file.. like most old games..
    Thx for the answer..
    Old post but whatever. It makes sense because the UI graphics (minimap, unit info area, command buttons...) are specifically made for each possible resolution. You can't have support for "any" resolution when your game has static images stretching across the bottom of the screen.

Sorry to necropost, but i've a bit of a problem somewhat related. I'm playing wbc2, wbc3 1.0325 and The Protectors standalone mod on my desktop pc. I was really happy not only to see i can choose high resolutions (after years not playing this game one can even think about it not running on windows7, but we know this is bypassable with few compatibility options chosen), and also the widescreen was not bad like in other old games (ps.: wbc2 has the 1600x1200 but it make the game crash, thus the non-implementation in the sequel).
    Then i decided to install wbc3 on my laptop (it's still good and windows7, and pretty same video card but for the laptop version of course, i pretty know it's not about pc specs but better to say it...) to test some more mods.
    After installing 1035 even if the resolution is wide i get the gamescreen cropped on the sides ._. (which is pretty odd expecially when you play a mod which is obviously graphically built to be wide). It could be the mod, but i tried the exe of the vanilla game and it's the same thing... well... unless the mod itself modified something. Maybe should i ask in ahatch mod's thread as well.

edit: i just noticed Kharn and Jodwin mentioned the higher the screen resolution of the desktop the higher the in-game can be set... (but i still don't understand why my laptop crop the wide -_-)
    Last edited by Vargas Velasques; 08-14-2014 at 05:40 PM.

There are only two resolutions in the source code for the game and I never changed the original code on those. So the 1035 mod is just like the original game. I play the mod on the higher res on my old six year old Dell works great but I haven't one of those wide screen monitors.

Warlords Forever
    Home of the 1035 Mod for Warlords Battlecry 3
    I also make indiegames under the name BelowZeroGames

I dont think it can be your mod anymore, since starting vanilla wb3 gave me the same problem. Then i reinstalled the whole thing on a second laptop (my third pc) and it worked cool... the things hurting my eyes is the that being things a bit lenghtened (with a non wide screen you will notice it expecially on buildings). To put it bluntly i don't remember the first times i played warlords battlecry 2 and 3 if it was on widescreens... but probably yes, because only my first old pc screen was non wide...
    My laptop surely has some issues (many...) i should have never installed win7ultimate (besides it has no difference with pro, which is less consuming in terms of space and cpu... and never gave me any problems T.T)

i'm gonna reread this thread and do some more research, maybe i will find what causes the non wide screen...

My girlfriend has the same problem with TPC and expecting me to solve it. If you find anything PLEASE tell me.
    With the import tools in WBC3, we can do it in under 5 minutes... but how to use the tools properly is secret known only to myself, Janeen, and a few ancient monks cloistered in cave somewhere in northern Latvia

Cheers

Steve
    I always had something of a monk in me. Now I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast