What is The Protectors?
The Protectors (in short TPC) is a stand-alone mod of the game Warlords Battlecry 3, produced by Infinite Interactive. Stand-alone means that it can be run without having the original game installed.
Currently, TPC is under development (since 2010) and has not reached a stable version. However, there are beta versions available for download for the public at The Protectors official website.All users are encouraged to report bugs and suggest improvements on TPC forum, as they are considered beta testers. Also, by becoming a member of the site you will receive email updates on new patches and important dev-blog entries. Becoming a member of the site will also ensure your name's (or nickname's) appearance in the credits list once the mod is fully developed.
The mod has bought a lot of changes to the original game in the past few years. The most important ones which are fully implemented as of today are:
- New campaign/ New storyline. The Protectors has a new story-driven exciting campaign full of memorable scenarios, cutscenes, locations and adventures. (approximately 90 new scenarios currently)
- Modified unit/ building/ tech tree in order to make a fun and balanced game.
- New campaign mode: Chapters. Along the normal wbc3 campaign style, there are also short campaigns with preset heroes in a preset universe.These are called chapters and give flavor to TPC storyline. There are 18 chapters, one for each race + a prologue, all happening around the same Etheria, some interacting with each other, some happening in a different time-line.
- Special characters/ companions. TPC revives the old Warlords Battlecry 1 characters like Robert, Setroth, Paridian etc. and brings new ones into the game. These units are persistent in campaign mode (xp gained in battle is saved for the next one) and spawn next to your hero (in most scenarios) regardless of army setup points. They have unique powers and dialogues and their presence affect many things, including story outcome.
- Improved editor. The in game editor is now easier to use because of features like: right-clicking to decrement selection, more control over scene events, ability to add item chests, create random terrain and more.
- Improved scene events. Now have the ability to make dialogue choices, change terrain, orchestrate units and buildings, add special effects (visual and audio), control player camera, change units/buildings owners, etc.
- Racial control panels. Each race has a suiting control panel. Some from the original series, some TPC made.
- Music collection. All from Steve Fawkner and co. Total soundtrack number currently is of 67, each fitting to the fantasy-travelling-battle style of the game.
- New interface. The TPC menu gives a better first impresion due to its new button layout, intro clips and short hint movies randomly shown from time to time. The hero creation screen in particular has suffered a lot of useful changes.
- New units and buildings. All fitting original wbc graphics.
- Racial synergy bonus (in short RSB). When the hero leads his own race he has a powerful racial special spell, unique for every race. This can change the tides of a battle, but can only be used once per scenario and is not long lasting. Timing is important.
- Global extra notifications. Useful mostly in MP, players will now be announced which hero/companion dies or whom has used his RSB.
- New terrain. All fitting original wbc graphics.
- Hero creation quiz. Responding to a series of questions with multiple answers will make it easier to choose a hero race and class.
- New items/ item graphics/ item sets. All fit with original wbc graphics.
- Improved AI. Now uses buildings such as mortars.
- Ironman, Bronzeman, Tinman mode. A hero can gain and loose xp in more ways now, depending on how much a player likes to risk.
- Hero proficiency. Every TPC hero must have a proficiency. This is a skill which automatically levels up with the hero.
- Cheat codes. Only working in SP and are not permanent to the hero.
- Improved spells. Such as controlled blinking, weather affected pyromancy and more.
- Improved in-game shops, temples, quests. Stocks change, neutral powerups and more.
- Campaign dialogues/ text-based quests. These can affect and be affected by many things such as hero class, in-game time, items, companions, completed scenarios, location, storyline, quests, crowns, etc.
- Campaign time importance increased. Actions can now be time-conditioned, so that you have a limited time (in days/years) to complete a quest (traveling, fighting, obtaining an item, etc.) without affecting reward or availability.
- New victory conditions/ game types. Along Slug Fest, Capture the Flag, King of the Hill and more.
- Improved random name generator. Mostly used by the AI, gives more distinction between races.