Infinite Interactive on Facebook Infinite Interactive on Twitter
Forum
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    I really hope that this thread marks the beginning of "The Return of the Warlords". I've never played a better strategy game so let's hope this thing will come to life. Here are some loose ideas that came to my mind when I thought about why playing Warlords was so much fun.

1) Turn-Based. I think this is set but I mention it for completeness.
    2) Simplicity. Have a simple gameplay where the complexity comes with the number of opponents, the number of cities and so on. It's like with chess: simple setup, simple rules but complex decisions. Forget about the tactical map, it drags you out of strategic mode where you have to juggle with lots of cities, armies and so on.
    3) Beauty. I would like to see innovations in the area of displaying the world. Up to now it is quite obvious that the map is rendered using square blocks. Perhaps there could be something like fuzziness, procedural maps, whatever to add more realism to the game. That means the map doesn't look so artifical but natural.
    4) Seasons. Seasons could influence the game play: lakes freeze over during winter so that armies can pass, rivers run dry in summer, fires burning forests
    5) Quests. Avoid the "Quest Storm" at the beginning. Instead let the quests pop up occasionally. Have multipart quests, like with geo caching, where the hero gets hints with each location. Perhaps small riddles must be solved.
    6) Cloud-based Games. I start a game on my desktop PC in my living room, then I take my tablet and continue the game there; perhaps I can even continue it on my smartphone.
    Great post! I totally agree! Number 6 is a very interesting idea! And should technically be no problem?

Quote Originally Posted by wargul16 View Post
    Great post! I totally agree! Number 6 is a very interesting idea! And should technically be no problem?
    They should create an iOS/Android version of the game. And I reckon it leads to some limitations for the PC version.

How does everyone feel about the Warlords ? In Warlords IV you had your Warlord unit at your home city is this a feature you would like to see remain or is it to be chopped.

Warlords Forever
    Home of the 1035 Mod for Warlords Battlecry 3
    I also make indiegames under the name BelowZeroGames

I am not somewhere, nor nowhere. I just am...
    I played an old game a while ago that I really enjoyed, Dominion.

What I enjoyed and wanted to see in Warlords V:

1) Aquatic Nations. These nations would start in a underwater city and would have very powerful water units. For example, Merpeople, a nation of fish people that had both water units and amphibian units.
    I would like to see water nations/castles in Warlords V.

2) Demigods (like Warlords in W4) that were able to take different forms and shapes. For instance there was the Blood Fountain, a powerful immobile demigod that could not leave the capital, Phoenixes that were able to resurrect if on their own territory and even Kracken Demigods that were unable to leave the water.
    What I want to see in Warlords V is either the Demigods/Gods as a whole, or the ability for Warlords to reborn if they are on their own territory, or on enemy territory to make it more fun.

3) Multiple Eras. Dominions has like 5 eras, each era with it's own unique races, ones are evolutions of others, with certain units retained from their ancestors, whereas others have completely new lore and units.
    I would like to see eras in Warlords V. Each era with it's unique factions and history, and maybe a campaign for each era.

First off, great to see this site back up, and good to see you're looking down the road. I've messed with some of your copycats over the years, and even the AoW series doesn't match up to what you've done.

Like many have said, I truly believe that the series hit its peak with WL3, and that should be your starting point.

In terms of suggestions? Sadly, it's been long enough since I've played that I'm not sure on all the old details any more. That said, I remember in the main Reign of Heroes campaign abusing the invisiblity power to no end. I'd send a flying invisostack deep into the enemy rear, and they'd just go and raze every town they could get a shot at. It would end up collapsing the enemy inside out.

So, one evil thought about that (muaha) would be some kind of "trap" for that kind of play. For instance, let certain magic users (hero or army? not sure) set up "Revealing gems" on the map, which remain on the map and expose any hidden units which come into their radius. They'd have to be expensive, so only a couple would be deployed a game, but just a nasty lil landmine for those who over rely on invisostacks.

Hello
    When i hear that Steve talk about warlords 5..im very happy. Pls make next warlords..i play W3DLR and its one of the best game i played when i was been young. I most like DLR for his atmosfere,music and visual style specialy for artworks and pixel units. It was been simple game and its good way, but when you play long long..looong(all campaings) this simplicity start be little LITTLE...(sorry) bored.
    -More features on the global map
    old maps look like empty places with castles and some ruins. Add some new special terrian places. For example
    Curse ground-battle on this place have effect for undead
    Thin pass battle will be bonus for archers and neutralize strong attacks
    Sacred tree bonus for elves..etc
    and save old features..mines,docks,stables etc.
    -Change battle system
    YES, old system was been good if player do hundreds of battles and dont be tired to command units. But do some inovations.
    I talk oabout real - time battle system BUT troops wil not be commanded. Player only choose commands and spell to support fighting troops in battlefield. Command and spell are dependent what type of heroes are in his army and what hight is their level. So i think that battle will be more action and come to life.
    -Remade effect of castles
    Change upg. system. for example
    Wooden fort can be upg to 3types of castles 1.Fortress (massive caste main for production troops and grand defences)
    2. Pleasure town (determine to produce gold and hire heroes and quests)
    3. Astral tower (Income mana and develop spells)
    So each player must choose how many castles will be fortress or pleasure town or astral towers to perform personal tactics.
    rebuild will be allowed but for hight price and take it some days to complete.
    -Remade Units
    when i play old w3 i boost one type of units and its enought to gain victory. I propose give them abilites to make them more diffrent, not only speed,strengh or price but uniquely skills. All dependent how battle system will be chosen. its not necessary create 60units. less is sometimes, more

i have many ideas, maybe later. i will be realy happy that Warlords 5 born to life. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Faestus View Post
    I played an old game a while ago that I really enjoyed, Dominion.
    Dominions III is an awesome game. But too hardcore. It is really hard to understand how to play. Too much stuff.
    But I would like to see Dominions IV too .

Hi,

I completely agree with Molotov. Warlords III should be a starting point of Warlords V development. I would bring back the ships concept from Warlords I. Also cooperative play (campaign) would be very nice to have.

Good luck in this undertaking!

Quote Originally Posted by Iginier View Post
    It was been simple game and its good way, but when you play long long..looong(all campaings) this simplicity start be little LITTLE...(sorry) bored.
    you can play with humans, they're smarter than AI and it never gets boring (at least for me )
    The Last Citadel - Darklords players ladder (PBEM).
    Let the War begin!

i agree..but

Quote Originally Posted by Molotov View Post
    you can play with humans, they're smarter than AI and it never gets boring (at least for me )
    Yes, i know what you talk about. But much games in w3 was about move armies betwen castles and battles was about LUCK. I think that it will be good to add some new features to make chance realize epic moments in game.
    And quality campaing its important for all new players.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast