Infinite Interactive on Facebook Infinite Interactive on Twitter
Forum
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

If we were making Warlords 5...

If we were making Warlords 5, what would you folks want it to be?

Although we have something in production right now, it's NOT Warlords 5. But it's possible that the game AFTER this one might be! With all the talk of Kickstarter campaigns, and digital distribution, it's quite possible that new Warlords titles could be done without the aid of a publisher.

It makes sense to throw it open to you all and find out what you'd like to see. Then it can germinate in my head for the next 6 months.

So... feel free to add any key features you'd like to see in the game.
    Last edited by Steve Fawkner; 09-23-2012 at 02:15 AM.

When I saw this thread I thought of something I wrote 5 years ago so I went and found the text file....

So here goes.....
    http://www.freewebs.com/warlordsfoev...sV%20Tact1.jpg

My suggestion for a system of tactical combat which is fun is simple. When you select your stack to attack another stack you go to a tactical screen that resembles a Warlords Battlecry pitched battle. At the begining of the battle you select your formation and the attitude you wish to use for each troop in the battle then you click the play button at the bottom. Your troops will then proceed to do battle. At any moment you should be able to pause the action and give individual troops orders.

Attitudes
    Like in Warlords Battlecry each troop will have an attitude to determine how they will fight.

Stand Ground - Troops will stay in one spot but will get more attacks per second in.
    Hit & Run - Avaialble to troops with ranged attack to move about avoiding direct physical attack but get less attacks in per second
    Magic Attacker - Troops will move forward to attack and use available spells will also work with troops with Warding and Scavenging skill
    Magic Deffender - Troops will stay back and attack units that come close - Healers and Curse using units would use this setting
    Rampant - Troops will run amuck and attack the units that are nearest
    Magic Rampant - Troops will run amuck using spells that are available
    Magic Stand Ground - Troops will stay in one spot but will get more attacks per second (ie Liches with Death Gaze and heros with healing)
    Seige - Units will stay far enough back enough from towers to avoid attack while still getting their attacks in.

Warlords Forever
    Home of the 1035 Mod for Warlords Battlecry 3
    I also make indiegames under the name BelowZeroGames

Definitely there must be some possibilities of real modding. A lot of people would like create their own campaigns, army sets and other stuff like that (like in War3). Maybe even big mods like guys did for WBC3.

Now about the gameplay. I didn't like that pokemon-style of tactical battle. So I don't want to see it in Warlords 5. And please return the custom sets (pgs). It was really cool ccg-like feature. Maybe you will try to replace old stack query automatic battle with something new. I can't suggest anything at this point. You are legendary game designer, not us .

Quote Originally Posted by ahatch View Post
    Stand Ground - Troops will stay in one spot but will get more attacks per second in.
    Hit & Run - Avaialble to troops with ranged attack to move about avoiding direct physical attack but get less attacks in per second
    Magic Attacker - Troops will move forward to attack and use available spells will also work with troops with Warding and Scavenging skill
    Magic Deffender - Troops will stay back and attack units that come close - Healers and Curse using units would use this setting
    Rampant - Troops will run amuck and attack the units that are nearest
    Magic Rampant - Troops will run amuck using spells that are available
    Magic Stand Ground - Troops will stay in one spot but will get more attacks per second (ie Liches with Death Gaze and heros with healing)
    Seige - Units will stay far enough back enough from towers to avoid attack while still getting their attacks in.
    Also sounds like some kind of card game. And you know, maybe it is good direction.

How great!!! Ok, off we go....

1) First of all, I would take the ideas out of Warlords 2, the simple ways everything is handable, eg: Automatic army movement between your cities! (The best idea ever and I think Steve was the first who came up with that idea??) the waypoint markers....

2) Design is the most important thing for me. To give you an example what I mean: Take Heroes 5 or Heroes 6...lovely games, nice colors, good ideas but way overdetailed! Every single figure has way too much details. A devil with 16 horns, not just two, The Pitlords whip ...not just a single whip but with 7 laces and on each end a morning star and so on. I could write for hours about the overdesign of the latest two Heroes games.
    Compare these games to Warlords 2, Heroes 3 or Age of Wonders 2...the are stilll classic because neither it's the worlds best graphic nor other so called important things...they are just easy to play, lovely designed and made for every person, no matter if you are a nerd or you just play it from time to time alone or with a friend.

3) Quests are a important thing when playing Warlords. I don't wanna miss quests.

4) I still love the way how you can produce your armies in each town. click on it, wait two, three tunrs and thats it..and you can always change it.

I still talk about basics, I know, but to be honest, for me it's just not that important that you can chosse between 25 or 435 spells, can chosse between 8 or 25 races....not too much, not too less to chosse and Steve always got it just right by keeping things simple! That's what I still love so much about your works! (and your mates work...of course )

So I think you know what I am talking about. If not....it's an online forum and I'd love to dicuss things! Cheers, wargul16

PS: I don't wanna forget to mention a map generator and a hot seat function!

Hot seat function for sure . Remember firing up Warlords 2 go to work and then go check to see who's won the game! Great Stuff

Warlords Forever
    Home of the 1035 Mod for Warlords Battlecry 3
    I also make indiegames under the name BelowZeroGames

Welcome back Steve! Warlords V is your destiny and it's up to you to fulfill it. I see two ways to do this: Revamp DLR, or go crazy all the way. First option is great and I would love to see it happen. Make sure you include a huge old school campaign, with over the top drama, and cutscenes with epic sketches

In case of the second option, I'm throwing at you some of the stuff I would want to see:

1) Ground fortifications

2) Army and city provisions

3) Seasons cycle (not day-night though)

The above don't have to be applied in an "Hearts of Iron" way, but it would be awesome to explore new dimensions. The classic Warlords model reached its pinnacle with DLR, and that game just can't be surpassed. So you either remake it as a "DLR 2013/2014" version, or you start fresh on the drawing board, always remaining true to the hardcore Warlords spirit.

In any case, we the old Warlords salute and support you!
    Last edited by Omen; 09-28-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Warlords 5 Pretty much has to be like Warlords 3 was the perfect game. It was beautiful, had brilliant Ai, I fuelled millions of hours into that game.

Warlords 4 was a good game, but no where near as good as the 3rd and I remember you remarking, Steve, that you built the entire game within 6 months which is quite an accomplishment.

Don't rush the game I'd be willing to Kickstarter fund any Warlords game.

My main recommendations now.....

Races
    - Keep the awesome 15 races that you've created in the Warlords lore, inc the Swarm, Plaguelords etc... the massive amount of races keeps the game fresh and interesting. There are many races which you can still consider however. Consider adding in Goblins (weak small swarm fast attack), Giants (slow large troops high attack), Moon Elves (primarily magic types), I'm a little unsure what kind of lore Warlords abides to, like do you use D&D as a basis? If that is the case you could look at adding in Gnomes (fast highly armoured but expensive since they are very similar to dwarfs), Halflings (small mixed race, similar to Fey with an array of abilities),

Visual Style
    - I'm unsure what you would be planning in terms of a visual theme, are you going to stick to perspective? Turn it up to 3D like the newer Might and Magic games? I personally have noticed these "new 3D games" struggle so much to be a good game. The newer HOMM games are no where near as good as the originals. Definitely keep the game colourful as it's always been, don't go for a realistic look or turn the game grimey otherwise it'll end up like most FPS games today.

Sound
    - Definitely get the old composing team back together as it was a key aspect to the games. I loved the music of all the games so much that I made myself a playlist of all the games to list to for whenever I played any of the Warlords franchise.

@Ahatch, your idea is good but then that defeats the purpose of having Warlords Battlecry 4. We should keep them seperate I think,

Its great to hear from you Steve, I like the approach you're taking to making the newer games by asking what we want!

Overall just don't make the game to make money, make it for the fan base and base it around what we want. Don't make a typical modern game which is just there to please everyone else because it's popular as they aren't special in anyway.

I would like to see W5 to be an improvement over W3 basic ideas with an emphasis on multiplayer.
    Player's game sets are the must, its a brilliant idea.
    Aslo im agaist the tactical combat. Warlords is great and best known as a strategical game, not tactical. And W3 stack combat system is perfect for multiplayer as well, when more than 2 men play. I love the simplicity of W3 combat, and inspite of this it is a kind of art for the player to manage fight order, compose a stack, switch right spells on, consider enemy and his own unit's special abilities, stack/terrain bonuses etc. Stack combat could be improved, say make units fight in rows, introduce some kind of formations and battle tactics, but please keep it automatic!
    What else could be added?
    1. Maybe som map-level spells: steal mana crystals, shatter city's fortifications, send plague and such.
    2. Logistics: food/ammo supplies, forced marches, field camps..
    3. building sites as smithies, barracks, srhrines etc, improving stats for units produced in a nearby city, gold-generating sites like fields and mines, and also building towers like in W2
    4. bring back the Talking Head!
    Last edited by Molotov; 10-02-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    The Last Citadel - Darklords players ladder (PBEM).
    Let the War begin!

I really hope that this thread marks the beginning of "The Return of the Warlords". I've never played a better strategy game so let's hope this thing will come to life. Here are some loose ideas that came to my mind when I thought about why playing Warlords was so much fun.

1) Turn-Based. I think this is set but I mention it for completeness.
    2) Simplicity. Have a simple gameplay where the complexity comes with the number of opponents, the number of cities and so on. It's like with chess: simple setup, simple rules but complex decisions. Forget about the tactical map, it drags you out of strategic mode where you have to juggle with lots of cities, armies and so on.
    3) Beauty. I would like to see innovations in the area of displaying the world. Up to now it is quite obvious that the map is rendered using square blocks. Perhaps there could be something like fuzziness, procedural maps, whatever to add more realism to the game. That means the map doesn't look so artifical but natural.
    4) Seasons. Seasons could influence the game play: lakes freeze over during winter so that armies can pass, rivers run dry in summer, fires burning forests
    5) Quests. Avoid the "Quest Storm" at the beginning. Instead let the quests pop up occasionally. Have multipart quests, like with geo caching, where the hero gets hints with each location. Perhaps small riddles must be solved.
    6) Cloud-based Games. I start a game on my desktop PC in my living room, then I take my tablet and continue the game there; perhaps I can even continue it on my smartphone.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast